Thursday, March 29, 2012

Milk or Melk?

It was funny, a couple days ago one of my teammates told me to pass the "melk" pronounced just like that! I kinda chuckled and began to correct her saying, "Its milk". It made me laugh because that sounds so foreign to me. Well, she is from California. It is soda over there, definitely not pop. She laughs every time I say pop. It cracks me up! I think it is crazy that how in other parts of the states, they can pick up new so-called lingo that we find strange. I am certain that they think that what we say is also weird. Just like "pop". Our pronunciations and words that we use are constantly changing. It is definitely assumed that we speak and have accents to others even if we think we do not. Just like the myth book, it is so true that we think "everyone has an accent but me". I find that fascinating when talking to friends and they say a word that sounds foreign to us and we instantly call them out on it because it sounds so strange but to them it sounds completely normal. I think the southern accent is also really funny. We find it funny and amusing but the southerners can definitely tell we are from "MinnesOta"! Overall, there are many words that differ in the English language that we come across and others pronounce differently. I notice it more and more since I read that myth in our book!

No comments:

Post a Comment