Monday, April 2, 2012

Bilingualism

While finishing up my research paper, I guess I never really knew how heated some of the debates are over bilingualism in schools. Many people have stated that this is America, you only speak English here. While others are saying that in the job field, being bilingual may help in the long run with businesses. Since I cannot speak my opinion really in my paper, I decided that this would be a great journal discussion. While more and more schools are being fed with immigrants these days, it has become a drastic change since even my parents' generation. It is crazy now that even states like California and Arizona are still up for debate whether bilingualism schools should be allowed. Down south, it is definitely more of a heated subject then in the northern part of the country, but still it is caused a lot of frustration. Immigrants are taking over the USA. Now, in public places, I feel like the minority. Just the other day while I was home we had walked into this restaurant near our home, "Buffalo Wild Wings", and we walked in and it was over populated by the Asians. Thinking back to growing up I find this extremely crazy! Living in a country where whites or Caucasians dominate, I feel like the minority half the time now. I do not want to sound racist here in any case, I guess I am just a little confused as to why this is happening. I believe in the education department, bilingualism with the ESL program (English as a second language), is completely acceptable. This program teaches the children outside of their normal class and helps them specifically with English so that they can understand what is going on in their class taught in English. Overall, the United States of America has become tossed in this subject when it comes to immigrants and bilingual education in the classroom. I believe that since this is an English dominated country,we should keep it that way for the better of our citizens and remembering where we came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment