Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Problems With the English Language

Today, I came across this issue while noticing that a lot of things since I have grown up have changed drastically. Today, I look around in the world and see many children getting a hold of the newest technology available for them. I think that what we really need to reconsider today is that the English language among our youth is currently being destroyed. Reading in chapter thirteen almost made me think of this in more depth. The author was talking about reading a job application from his son and the words/grammar were absolutely dreadful. Using terms like "stuff" or "latr", has changed the way that children are now acquiring English. The computer being a relative tool for kids is also causing a drastic change for the worse with children. I think about growing up, I did not really mess with a computer until about middle school/high school. Today, kids know more about computers than I think we college kids do now. It almost scares me in a sense. Thinking that when I become a teacher in 4 years, will kids be talking to each other different? Their writing be poor, etc. It really makes me think. The generation of today is soaring with technology. The technology can be good but also carries a lot of negatives along with it. I believe that parents can be to blame for this issue at times. Don't buy your kids a cell phone in 2nd Grade. They should be outside, socializing, interacting with one another. Not adding friends on facebook or tweeting on twitter. It will be interesting in times to come but I think that there needs to be a foot to set down because today I definitely see some leniency.

No comments:

Post a Comment