Saturday, April 21, 2012

English as The Official Language

Reading an article online, I came across one that stated that English is the official language of the United States. Only according to the year 2009 when the senate voted for it to be the official language here. I bet you reading this are like me, going "Isn't English the official language anyway?".. Yes. I definitely was confused as well. To me, this made little to no sense. How is it, that the United States was not declared the official English language anyway? It is kind of crazy to me that this just happened recently. With the immigration levels at a soaring high level, I realized that this is just beyond crazy. It is almost as if I am now the minority in my own country. I have noticed that everywhere I go now that I feel like I am in a different country where numbers of people are increasing that are not from America. There is definitely nothing wrong with that I guess I was just in utter shock to come to find out that English was just recently passed as the official language. It is America, and when many people think of it already, they already are aware of it being the country's main language. In any event, It made me think about other countries like Italy, for example, or Germany. You automatically know that the languages spoken there are Italian and German. It is nice to know now that our official language is English, I just hate that it took so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment