Monday, April 23, 2012

Texting

Overheard in my English class today, a student brought up that texting was the topic of her research paper. It got me thinking. There is a lot on the subject of texting, how it came to be and the drawbacks that currently come with it. Today, there is a lot of heated issues regarding texting. Obviously, texting and driving laws are being put into action currently in society today. The amount of accidents that occur with this large population including teenagers while driving have sky rocketed. I feel as though the language in which we use for texting is changing drastically as well. We abbreviate the littlest things such as "U" for "you". This has started to bug me in a sense. It has really made me appreciate that I have been brought up in a school setting where curriculum was rigorous and English was a big necessity. This has also extended on to my previous journal entries about children being uneducated more in grammar now that texting has become available for them. Looking around, I can guarantee you that there are numerous children from ages 12 and up that include "U" and "4" in their grammatical ]writing in the classroom. This has lead me to believe that it is from the phenomenon of texting. It is almost supposed to be "cool" for the students to write that way and therefore it carries over to the classroom. Babysitting and being around the atmosphere of young children has really lead me to believe that a serious problem is being dealt with when it comes to grammar in the classroom. I do not know what needs to happen to maybe help the children get away from their technology way of writing but I feel like it definitely has become more of a growing problem as the years progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment