Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Battle of Who or Whom

Coming from old Norse and old German, whom has been quite the controversy on when to use it. This is actually quite interesting because I recently took the MTLE, (MN Teaching Licensure Exam) and that was one of my test questions on the test. A sentence was given with the word who and it was asked if I should replace it with "whom". I began wondering and I honestly do not even remember what we were taught about it. I go on what sounds better but I do know that I cannot do that! There is actually a grammar rule on this. While reading our text, I came across a language alive section and the debate of who or whom was actually the hot topic of discussion. Are you most likely to say "whom did you talk to" or "who did you talk to" ? I am going to be straight up and say that I would prefer (from daily conversation) to go with "who" in this case. Of course, if this were on a homework assignment, I would probably use whom because it is more precise and accurate of how it sounds. We do not ever use whom in conversations, however. Beginning in England, by using who for subjects and whom for objects, has been around since the seventeenth century. This is definitely interesting because the use of whom has definitely been declining for centuries. It definitely is interesting to me that the use of whom is declining, but using me and him is not. I believe a lot of this has to do with the media. What we see and use on a daily basis has influenced our input of how we speak. It is crazy. Never do we hear news reporters talking about "a man whom.." , it would definitely just sound weird. This makes me wonder that when we have kids, maybe the news reporters of their generation will start to sound uneducated...

No comments:

Post a Comment