Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Slips of the Tounge and Soda or Pop

While reviewing over some material I noticed that coming across the Slips of the Tounge part of chapter 4 made me think "i tend to do that" . It is crazy because we do definitely talk very fast, us Americans, and we tend to say things that slip! Instead of black boxes, I said black bloxes. It is quite common. I cannot think of any others off the top of my head but I do notice that now when I say that type of slip, I just remind myself "oh slip of the tounge!" It is funny when you hear others say it as well. On to another note I got into an argument (a funny one, not serious) when it comes to the word pop or soda. Up north, I noticed, it is most definitely pop but of course my aunt down south definitely says soda. It is quite fascinating because even in restaurants up here it will say refreshments or pop. Down south it is soda. While researching, I was pointed to a site which showed a map demonstrating that down south you also here "coke" while out east it is soda! Very interesting. I feel like it definitely has a lot to do with your upbringing of the battle of soda or pop. My parents had always taught me pop while my aunts parents did as well. When she moved down south she said that she got ridiculed for saying pop so she began using soda. Your upbringing and the environment in which you speak also demonstrates the proper use of soda or pop.

No comments:

Post a Comment