Saturday, February 4, 2012

Morphemes and Syllables

As I began reading chapter five, I began to confuse myself with morphemes and syllables. I began to understand it more and more as I kept reading but I can definitely see anyone confusing these two terms easily. A morpheme , simply put to me is a distinctive feature in a language that means something, which is different than a syllable. I look at the word pancake, pan and cake are both recognizable meanings and have two syllables. The word transmission can have a distinctable morpheme being trans. Everyday as I come to class I literally do learn something new each day. I am almost in awe that I have never heard of these terms before in high school. It is crazy . I read a lot of poetry and plays which made sense but never have I heard of these terms. I kind of get anxious about all of this material because in all honestly, I feel like it is a lot to know but as I go more and more each day it is starting to click a little better. I really like it. While discussing assimilation,  it also started to click and realize that "hey, I do assimilation on a daily basis!" Just crazy. The word hamburger, I say hambager. The r is being assimilated. It rolls off of our tounge a lot easier because it is combined with a nasal, which I think has a lot to do with it. Little kids do a great job of assimilation. Since I nanny in the summer, it makes me think of the little boy Jack that I watch. He says "bobble" instead of "bottle" a pretty good example of assimilation. Overall, this is starting to click a lot easier than day 1 and I feel like I am learning a lot when it comes to the english language.

No comments:

Post a Comment