Tuesday, February 7, 2012

R Deletion and so forth

While pondering about the assignments we received in class last week, my roommate and I came across how fascinating it is that when we talk, the "R" does tend to delete in certain areas of speech. It is crazy because we live in a society where our speech is very fast-paced. When we come across other languages when we flip through, say, a Spanish channel, we tend to think that they talk very fast. In all actuality though, we talk very very fast compared to them. Back to the topic of the R deletion, we say a sentence with words that include "library, February, particularly, veterinary. When we come across these words, many say that Febuary without that R in the middle of it. It is crazy because as a child I was taught that the R is silent in that month. On to another note, I feel that as I read more into chapter 5, I am starting to understand things more and more. There is a lot of information regarding the issues in chapter 5 but I am starting to grasp it. When we come across things such as Infixes, I noticed that my friends and I tend to use these quite a lot. Abso "freaking" lutely. It works when it comes to two syllables before the infix, so a 3 syllable word. I really like chapter five so far and I feel like I will tend to grasp it a lot better than normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment