Thursday, February 23, 2012

Slang and Profanity

While coming across my reading chapter 6, I would definitely say that it made me think of things that I guess I have not really thought about before. Starting with the topic of the vocabulary word slang, which is an informal word or expression that has not gained complete acceptability and is used by a particular group. When I think of slang, I think of me and my friends using "sweet" for something that is just awesome that happened. We also use that when being sarcastic. It is crazy that indeed there are words that are around today that have been used hundreds and hundreds of years ago. When it comes to slang I also think of the word "rubbish", which my grandparents always use when, in my vocab term, is "silverware" , fork, knife, etc. It is crazy that many words that we do use today are referred to as a "slang" type of word. Also, while reading this chapter I came across jargon, a specialized vocabulary term associated with a trade, sport, ect. I totally thought of my sport here at Bemidji State, soccer. We use so many jargons that are associated with the game that I thought of. "juggle, nut-meg, cut, scissors", are all examples are my jargons in my life. The final section I ended with today in chapter 6, was the use of taboo words, or forbidden word or expression interpreted as insulting, vulgar, or rude. Substitutes for taboo words really caught my attention. It is so true that we substitute shoot for shit or heck for hell. Heck, I say them a lot in my daily conversations. I will definitely remember that next time I am using those words and remind myself that those words that I am using are taboo words! This chapter really has me thinking about what exactly is profanity and why we use it. It is definitely interesting because in a daily conversation of people around campus, just by listening I heard the word "fuck" a lot. I feel like that word today is definitely being tossed around a bit lackadaisical. In NBC's 2003 broadcast of the Golden Globe Awards, the lead singer of the U2 band quoted "fucking brilliant" on air. I feel as though others would argue that this is not really in fleeting context because it is used as an adjective here, which is what the press said. Overall, I feel as though profanity today in being misused and from when I was a kid, it was almost awe when you hear profanity around. Today, it is extremely laid back and It is getting out of control.

No comments:

Post a Comment