Thursday, January 19, 2012

Chapter 2 Discussion

When reading chapter 2 in Linguistics, I came across many terms that I had never heard before. Words like "pidgin" or "creole", really were weird words to me in the beginning. As I read more about chapter two, I learned that pidgins are simplified, nonnative "contact" languages that develop to enable speakers of distinct languages to communicate. When thinking about this, I did remember a time when I feel that pidgins would be used, and that would be the time of slavery. Think about all the people that were brought together from different parts of the world and now have to communicate in a variety of ways, using the "pidgin" way and interacting with one another. Creoles, however, evolve from pidgins and instead develops into a more fully formed language and has native speakers. When also discussing second language acquisition, one can argue, is it learning or acquisition? Well, I believe it is learned. Yes, there are many people out there today who are bilingual but many are also taking a french or spanish class, being taught it. Yes, as one would say, travel abroad, they aquire a whole new language and ways of speaking it as well. The social aspects of learning this second language is crucial, and takes motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment