Monday, January 30, 2012

Grammar Makes a Huge Difference

I recently saw something today on facebook that made me laugh. It was quite funny. I came across it on my friends' page saying that grammar does, indeed, make a difference. Let us take the sentence "Let's eat grandma!" or Let's eat, Grandma!" It made me laugh so hard. Almost in a sense where I am so thankful that I was taught that. Those sentences can mean two different things. Either saying that we should eat grandma or telling grandma that we should eat some food! That just makes me almost in a sense to be thankful for the comma because it can change a sentence meaning, so easily. Sometimes, however, one can get confused on certain occasions when to use the comma. It is one of those things that maybe we should think about. For example, the comma used after the word "and" makes many wonder what is the appropriate time to use it. The sentence structure I found to be correct would be "He hit the ball, dropped the bat, and dropped the bat", many here would get confused on whether or not to put a comma before "and" and I came to find out this to be known as a series comma which identifies things in a list. It makes sense because in something like "macaroni and cheese" because it is just two articles, no comma is necessary. This makes me kind of in a sense, proud that we have something like the comma. It helps a lot of people out when trying to describe meanings and also to list things. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment