Saturday, January 21, 2012

Second Week Discoveries

Throughout my encounter with the David Crystal "Encyclopedia of English Language",  discovering how different words came to be and how some of their meanings have changed over time really caught my eye. From the Christian Missionaries not only was the introduction of literacy came to be but also a huge Latin vocabulary. I guess I never realized that words played a huge role when it came to the Christians. Onto another topic, over the summer while babysitting the little girl I was watching asked me while she was on the internet if it is "colour" or "color" and was confused how in some magazines she reads "colour" when in school she is taught the "or". It kind of made me think about this because I can even recall the time when I was reading in "Seventeen" magazine and they would talk about "colours" or lipsticks. I got so into this that I even looked it up online. I found out that "colour" is actually used in the United Kingdom. I also found that Americans do definitely like simplicity in language so we decided to drop the "u". To me, I find that when written "colour" you almost want to say it different but then you do realize that it simply means color in an American's viewpoint. Overall, when looking on google the different explanations from the U added it really does make you think about how crazy just one letter can make it seem!

No comments:

Post a Comment