Tuesday, January 24, 2012

"Hanged or hung?"

While organizing some laundry, I had said that this shirt needed to be hung. My friend had interrupted telling me that "hanged" was what I had meant.Sitting there in awe I began to really think about it. I began to look it up and I was right! "Hanged" was the word used in past tense, and is referred to a person that is literally "being hanged", or put to death. Therefore, when it comes to the word "hung", the way I used it, was completely accurate. In all other senses of the word, hung is the preferred form as past tense and past participle, as in I hung my child’s picture above my desk. Basically, when is comes to hanged vs hung. A person is hanged where as everything else is hung. I found this extremely interesting and I actually seemed to grasp which one I would use in a certain situation. There has been a lot of debate regarding the issue of which one is correct but all in all , if it is not a person, refer to hung. I came back to my friend and told her what I had found out and she happened to learn something also!

No comments:

Post a Comment