Tuesday, January 17, 2012

First Week of English

Beginning my first week of the class, I slowly but surely began to engage more and more into class discussions. Language is, indeed, constantly changing. I found it interesting when discussing throughout the class about the forces that language from changing. Things like the society, the media, the acts of history really made sense. Another interesting phrase, which I will admit that I have never heard before this class is the idea of "Received Standard". Received standard comes into play when we began discussing in class the idea of is it "ask" or "aks" and it is quite funny to me because I have definitely heard of people say aks and it now makes sense because they may have been taught to say it that way. This class period really made me think, specifically about "is it octupi? Is it syllabi?" It really makes you think outside of your box.

No comments:

Post a Comment