Saturday, January 21, 2012

"& she's like.."

It is crazy today the overuse of a lot of words. Is it texting or what that many girls today when talking tend to say " and then she was like..." instead of "she said" ? I will be the first to say that the launch of texting has took a toll on many people young and old for grammar. I believe that it is no secret, myself included, we tend to use she's like or she goes, when talking to someone. When digging down into the web for a little more info on maybe where and when this came from, I actually received a lot of information. Apparently, this use of like in a sentence actually came from a Valley Girl speech in the 1980s. Which was, of course, long before texting. Instead of using the verb "say" we replace that with "she's like" "she goes" or "she's all". I can recall even a time when I was younger, my older sister (at the time she was in high school) heard me telling my mom a story and she corrected me saying "no! She said" and I was kinda like "oh, yep, that does make more sense when I talk". Overall, this phrase has gone global and it is rare when someone is telling a story (unless they are our grandparents) to use say. It can be annoying at times when hearing others but then I gotta think that I say it too! A LOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment