Thursday, January 26, 2012

Phonology Fun

Wow. What a crazy week it has been in the English Language classroom. I had absolutely NO idea that there was a chart about all the sounds that we humans make when we talk! I cannot believe it at all. Things like the labial which are sounds that involve the lips, the dentals involve the teeth, alveolar involves the area behind the teeth, the palatal involves the hard palalte and the velar the soft palate. It just really makes you think when speaking now what type of articulations and manners of them you are exactly using! I found it so fascinating that we do speak with our nasals and you can hear the distinction when it does happen. I was currently looking online because I cannot comprehend the difference between voiced and voiceless. I came to understand that with the vibration of your vocal chord you can actually tell if it is or not. I noticed the difference when making the sound "ch" it is voiceless, while things with the "b" are voiced. It makes me think that our language has a lot to it. I had absolutely no idea before this class that there is such a thing with the consonants chart to help one understnad it. Also, the flow of air that comes out of your mouth when saying a letter is labeled as well. It is absolutely crazy. As I was sitting here at work a lady came up to me and noticed I was working on some English homework. She asked "what is that anyway?" I had told her that it is a consanant chart which I have to work on memorizing... :/ . She was in awe! It just goes to show you that many people today are still unaware what exactly the English Language is capable of. I am starting to like this as I find more information about it :) .

No comments:

Post a Comment