Saturday, January 21, 2012

Ketchup or Catsup?

While at the grocery store this week, I overheard a family in the condiments section say "catsup". Now, growing up I was never taught to say that. I mean it says right on the bottle ketchup! It just didn't make sense to me at all. I get kind of frustrated about this little issue (haha) when of course I should not at all. I guess I just do not know where they even come up with that?! While searching I came to find out that the word ketchup was in Charles Lockyer’s book of 1711, An Account of the Trade in India. Then, later in his other book he writes catchup which was used much more in North America then Britain. We can definitely blame a fellow named Jonathan Swift for coining "catsup". First used in 1730. Now that I have found out how the heck we even came across getting that term it makes me a little more at ease. It is crazy how words can get changed around starting with one person and then happening to carry from the 1700s to now. It makes me wonder.. can we change a little bit of a word and see when our kids have kids if it was picked up? :) Overall, I found that extremely interesting that the term catsup was used by one person and then was passed. How awesome is that? Well.. kinda. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment